Friday, November 27, 2009

Dillard57 Relocated!


We have settled into our new home in Melrose, MA. The last few months were a blur of packing and planning and occasional panic as we navigated the white waters of real estate negotation. We have come out the other end unscathed, although I have learned a lot. NEXT time, when I do the walk-through, I'm going to notice if they've taken all of the blinds off the bedroom windows. Sigh.


I don't have a whole lot of fascinating stories about this process unless you like to hear long deliberations about couch colors (who knew that there were color trends in couches?), and how do you find the best place to put the pots and pans? Now I struggle to find curtains and curtain rods and the drill and drill bits buried in a box somewhere that would allow me to put them up. Mr. Right has been a non-stop whirl of box emptying and shlepping, upstairs, downstairs, in between. We have squeezed in a few interesting adventures -- mostly notably, in October we biked the Cape Cod Canal, which I had on my list of new year's resolutions for 2009. The photo above is from that visit while Mr. Right and I were taking silly photos.


We like Melrose. Our neighbors have been very friendly, and we love walking into town to run errands. Need eggs? The grocery store is just a block away! Need books, duct tape, the YMCA, a church service? All within an easy walk. This is what I have always loved about living close to town. Mr. Right loves his new commute.


Yesterday was Thanksgiving. I am appreciative to the point of amazement at the way our life has changed in the past few months and the wonderful family and friends who helped us through the transition. If you had told me five years ago that this is what my life would look like now, I'm not sure I would believe you.


Tonight I watch a documentary about Frida Kahlo and rest and have a moment to catch my breath before we return to the work of setting up a new household. Oh and get ready for the holidays!

No comments: