Tuesday, September 14, 2004

You Were Getting Hungry for a Food Post, Right?


Squash Blossom Quesadilla Posted by Hello I got some flak about my numerous food posts, so I held off for a bit. But you know you were dying to know what I've made lately, haven't you? Well, I made a nice peach pie with Joselyn, using tapioca as a thickener which was pretty successful, although I forgot to include flour in the topping so it wasn't quite perfect. Then I was at the Arlington farmer's market and one booth had squash blossoms along with assorted Asian greens. The Harvest Restaurant extravaganza I wrote up earlier included a pan fried squash blossom in one of the dishes which I thought was delicious and fun. So I bought a batch ($2 for 24ish), brought 'em home and started flipping through my Mexican cookbook. One recipe included them in the standard sopa de pollo (chicken soup). And another was for quesadillas with cheese and "flor de calabeza" (squash blossoms). Above is the evidence. They came out pretty good. Not a particularly strong flavor to the flowers; their addition mostly enhances color and texture. So that's my latest culinary adventure.

And in case you were wondering if I ever do really stupid things in the kitchen, well, let me share one thing. I'd stored the blossoms in the fridge in a glass of water to keep them fresh until I cooked them. When I took them out of the fridge, I set the glass of water they'd been in on the counter. Later when I was thirsty I thought, oh, here's my glass of drinking water. Ew.

No comments: