Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Food Tourism: Or, Thanks Red Sox!


Red Sox Victory is Sweet: Ooey Gooey Butter Cake and Toasted Ravioli Posted by Hello

Over the holiday, a few bets had to be settled.

My brother-in-law is from St. Louis so when the Red Sox went head to head with the Cardinals, there was going to have to be a friendly wager or two. If the Sox won, I would win some toasted ravioli, a St. Louis speciality. If the Cards won (perish the thought!), I would be bringing Boston's chowdah home at Christmas. As anyone who was awake in 2004 might remember, the Sox swept the series. So I won some bragging rights and some toasted ravioli! They are the round pasta-like thingies in the photo, and most importantly, as illustrated in the photo, they come with a yummy tomato sauce.

Even better, because my brother-in-law felt that a series sweep deserved an extra treat, he also brought along a rare but beloved local delicacy called the Ooey Gooey Butter Cake! Anyone reading this blog knows about my food quests, and I've heard wonderful rumors of this confection, basically defined as "a pre-baked cake drenched in butter and sugar." And it was everything you might imagine. Disgusting, sickening and absolutely delicious. Like cake candy. Like liquid, gooey, buttery cake. The sugar rush is so fast and so intense, taking a bite is like a punch in the eye. You don't want to eat this every day but boy oh boy, it ain't bad for breakfast the day after Christmas. I don't know if you can see it oozing in the photo, but it does ooze a buttery goo for sure.

And because I'm such a swell sister-in-law, I brought along some Legal Seafood clam chowdah bought at the airport on the way home. So everyone was pretty happy. And I won't even have to go to St. Louis to check off those items on my food quest list!

No comments: