Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Shed a Little Light / The Secret of Life

I'm not sure why but winter puts me in a James Taylor kinda mood. And every MLK day seems to be a day that I have free to be at home and reflect on things, and of course get a little cooking and cleaning done. As part of my MLK Day tradition, I listened to his tribute song to MLK, which is called "Shed a Little Light" and starts off with the lovely lines:

Let us turn our thoughts today to Martin Luther King
and recognize that there are ties between us, all men and women living on the Earth.
Ties of hope and love, sister and brotherhood,
that we are bound together in our desire to see the world become a place in which our children can grow free and strong.
We are bound together by the task that stands before us and the road that lies ahead.
We are bound and we are bound.

Amen!

And the next song on the CD I have is "The Secret O'Life." I'm going to include the lyrics here because they are so simple as to be ridiculous. And like a lot of simple things, it rings true. I seem to need to be reminded of this message on a regular basis. Thanks, JT for sharing the secret. Who knew.

Secret O' Life

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
Any fool can do it, there ain't nothing to it.
Nobody knows how we got to the top of the hill.
But since we're on our way down, we might as well enjoy the ride.

The secret of love is in opening up your heart.
It's okay to feel afraid, but don't let that stand in your way.
Cause anyone knows that love is the only road.
And since we're only here for a while, might as well show some style.

Isn't it a lovely ride? Sliding down, gliding down,
try not to try too hard, it's just a lovely ride.

So it was a good day. Had my JT moment, and I cooked a scary good cake (if you need to register, use bugmenot). I don't know if I would recommend making the cake unless you have the day off, as well as a pound of butter and four cups of sugar on hand. Yikes! But it was so fun to have the day to work on that as well as just relaxing and doing the JT thing, enjoying the passage of time. I need more of these days off.

No comments: