Monday, March 14, 2005

A Winter Breather


New England Skiing Posted by Hello

I love living in the city and rarely do I feel the need to drop everything and escape. But when a group of friends decided to do a weekend in the "boyfriend's family's NH cabin", I was happy to go. I've noticed when I do leave Boston for one of these excursions, there is this feeling of lightening, of ahhhh, new perspective, etc., even though I hadn't been feeling particularly rundown. So it was good to get away. We did a little skiing, both cross country and downhill. The picture is from the top of one of Attitash Mountain's little baby hills. I love to ski, but no one would ever accuse me of being a daredevil. I thought I was tough because I could handle all of the, um, green circle trails at, um, Wachusett Mountain in MA. Well, I wasn't fully prepared for the New Hampshire definition of green, which of course would make any seasoned skiier snort, but made me a little weak in the knees. But I conquered that mountain! I showed her my stuff! I skiied all the way down without falling at all! So here's a photo of me in my ski gear and eighteen layers of clothing along with Bess, new snowboarder extraordinaire.


We Think We're Tough But We Fool No One Posted by Hello

And we did a lot of cooking and eating in that not-very-rustic-at-all cabin. We decided to buy a ton of groceries and cook together. I made Cooks Illustrated Quick Recipe cinnamon rolls, which made me a very popular person on Saturday morning. I wouldn't say they were easy as pie, but everyone was so excited that it made it worthwhile. Our Saturday night dinner with flourless chocolate cake was particular spectacular, followed by a fierce game of trival pursuit.


Quick Cinnamon Rolls Posted by Hello

Yup, I recommend the winter getaway thing for sure. Except now I need some sun. Hm.

No comments: